Doing the Chores You Love to HateSeptember 4, 2009 by Blair
Filed Under Featured, Homekeeping
by Blair Massey
I hate to iron and I’m not afraid to admit it! Almost everyone has a chore they hate to do. And that’s okay. You don’t have to like doing every chore. What’s not okay is NOT getting them done.
Over the years I have developed a few tricks that turn the chores I hate to do into a more pleasurable experience. Here are my top five tips for doing the chores I love to hate.
1. Do the chore you dislike the most first. Get it out of the way so it is not weighing you down and causing you to procrastinate
2. Outsource. Yes, that’s right I said outsource, but not the way you think I mean it. Do you have children at home that are old enough to do chores? Then assign them the duty. As the mom, it is your responsibility to prepare your children to take care of their own home some day. Use this as an opportunity to teach them a new skill. If you have more than one child that is capable of doing the chore, set up a rotating schedule so that everyone gets a chance to learn and practice.
3. Put on some music, a talk radio program or a book on CD. This always helps me forget I am doing something I don’t like. Before I know it I am done. I have spent many an afternoon ironing while listening to Tom Sullivan on the radio. I love his Financial Fridays!
4. Do it as fast as you can. Put on a timer and set it for half the time you think it will take to do the chore. Then work as fast as you can to beat the clock. My son likes to call this game “Time Challenge”.
5. Dangle a carrot in your face. That means give yourself a reward for doing the chore. I am often more motivated to do a chore I dislike when I promise myself that I can sit down for a few minutes and read my favorite magazine or do an activity that I enjoy, like scrapbooking. When there is something to look forward to after finishing the task, I have no trouble getting the job done.
I hope you find these tips helpful. Now, go get those chores done!
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR EZINE OR WEB SITE? You can, as long as you include the entire following resource information at the end of the article and make the link back to our site live:
© 2002 – 2009 Blair Massey
Christian Lifestyle expert Blair Massey is devoted to helping Christian women around the world organize and manage their home, family and life. If you’re tired of struggling to keep up at home, Blair will show you how to unlock your God-given organizing ability so that you can start living the amazing life that God created you to enjoy! To learn how, sign up for her FREE newsletter now at www.christian-homemaking.com